Little Sicily Shares All...





Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Only 5 days for Heroin...

I was listening to the Drex Morning Show, as I do on the daily, while driving to work this morning. First of all I just want to say that I love, love, love the Drex morning show! They were talking about this girl who was suspended in Fairfax for taking birth control pills at school. The school, Oakton High School has a zero tolerance for pills of any kind. The girl should not have taken her pill at school; she should have just taken it at home. However, she is young, and had started taking the pill at a specific time during the summer, and thought that she needed to still take it at that time. Technically, she is correct, but she could have just switched the time all together. Her doctor and mother should have told her that…she is only 13!


What kills me though is that is she would have been caught high on an illegal drug; she would have only been suspended for 5 days. WHAT THE FISH!!!! How does that even make any sense? An illegal substance is only a 5 day suspension, but a prescribed drug carries a 10 day suspension with the possibility of expulsion?


According to the article I found on this in the Washington Post, even carrying birth control pills is one of the most serious offenses in the student handbook. I’m at a loss for words…
First of all, at least the girl is attempting to be smart about having sex. There is no need for a 13 year old girl to get pregnant. I hope that she is also using a condom to protect herself from STIs. I hate, I mean LOATHE abstinence only programs, because they do not teach what needs to be taught. Teenagers (maybe even pre teens) need to be taught the truth about sex- the responsibility, the consequences. Telling them to abstain does not work…kids are horny and they are going to get it on if they want to. I think that giving them condoms and other birth control will only help. I also don’t think that it will encourage more to have sex…if they want to they will regardless of if they have the availability to a condom or not.


Our country is so messed up…it just makes no sense to me. The message that they are sending is horrible. Take a dangerous illegal substance and you only get a 5 day suspension. Make a smart decision about sex by taking birth control, prescribed by your doctor, and you get a 10 day suspension. Oh god it makes me so angry…

2 comments:

OmegaRadium said...

I agree, horny teens are gonna do the nasty with or without proper precautionary measures...might as well have them being proactive about things.

STIs? You must work with medical insurance or something. :P

MJW said...

Great post! I can't believe that's in a handbook. How stupid! :)

 
eXTReMe Tracker