Little Sicily Shares All...





Sunday, April 26, 2009

It's official...I'm all grown up and my bedroom proves it...the pink is all gone!

I bought my condo over three years ago when I was 23. I was all excited about having my own place. I wanted my condo to reflect who I was- fun and colorful. That is how I needed up with a bright green martini themed kitchen, a bubble gum pink bedroom, and a bright blue under the sea bathroom. It was all very cute and I loved it…well besides for the bright blue under the sea bathroom…that was the first to go. I had painted it, because I was all excited about having a blue bathroom- turns out- I’m the worst painter in the world. I am no longer allowed to paint walls, only supervise. Even though it was repainted- it still looked horrible.
In 2006 my bathroom was redone…See “Wait...I thought it was April”
I have been thinking about redoing my kitchen for a long time. I wanted to gut it out and start fresh. The current economic crisis has deterred me from doing that. I looked at the comps for other condos in my building/area…it is safe to say that I have already lost over $20K. So why spend a shit load of money on a kitchen? I have decided not to do that. Instead, I will take away the bright green and paint the walls a taupe color. I am also getting rid of the martini theme…thank god! You can see that I had a martini (magnet) glued onto every cabinet. That was to cover up holes that were in the middle. The handles used to be right in the middle WTF right?

The cabinets will be glazed over with a rust color…my colors will be forest green and rust orange. My inspiration came from: Yes, that is correct a kitchen towel that I purchased from...Target!

I wanted my dad to cut arched holes out of my kitchen walls and make a little breakfast bar. However, for some unknown reason, there are too many pipes that go through those walls. I don’t want this to be a huge project, so I’m over that idea. Instead, I think that I will just opt for something like this:
Sorry, taken from my cell phone- not the best photo. I think that a little breakfast bar area with some extra storage would be great.

I have also spruced up my living room/dining room.

These shelves are in my dining room. Thanks to the help from my sister, I think that they now look awesome. No longer are they bare and drape looking. They look like they have life to them now!
I bought new couch pillows...I used to have 2 brown and 1 tan. The blue and greens really add. I love them. They are from World Market. I'm going to buy one more of the white flower pillow, so each couch will have one. The coffee table is also new, purchased from IKEA. I used to have a glass one that I purchased with the coach set, but I decided that I hate glass because no matter how many times I try to clean it, it still looks dirty.

Close up of the pillows: I have also purchased bamboo sticks. This is very exciting for me. I have always wanted some, but for some reason never bought any. I love the look of the bamboo with the rocks! Thanks again to IKEA! Now…on to my bubble gum pink room- it has been transformed! (I will have to dig up pictures of my pink room) It is now a creme color, and it more grown up. Amazing how a color can do that! It now has a very earthy and organic feel to it. I absolutely love it! I have used most of the same things in it too. I bought these pictures from IKEA right after the ex moved out. I knew that I wanted a more earthy feel to my room. I think that placing them all together on one shelf really makes them stand out more and makes them more of a focus in the room.

Instead of the 3 pictures and huge mirror, as it was before, this painting also from IKEA (love that place) is hung over my bed. This used to be in my living room. The pillows are actually from my living room too, since I bought new couch pillows. My devout cover is from Target- that was also purchased after the ex moved out- couldn't use any of the same bedding...that is just wrong. The tall vase with the sticks is from Target. The vase used to be in my dining room, hidden, with different sticks in it. I recently just bought new brown and green sticks from Target and I thought it brought it too life. I have 2 of them. So one is in my bedroom and the other is in the living room.


I've also wanted a little tray to put cute girly things ie lotion and perfumes. Just a side note, the lotion in the blue bottle is awesome!!!

I hope that I am able to keep i this clean at all times, it just looks so much better when everything is so nice and neat.

There will be more changes to come! I'll have to do another post later. I'm so happy with the direction that my remodel is going. Like I said, I don't want to spend a ton of money, but I want to give it a fresh updated look. I no longer need screaming wall colors to show my personality.






3 comments:

JD said...

WOW! Our little Dani IS all growed up!

OmegaRadium said...

A condo at 23, wow. I've always wanted an entire place to decorate and call my own, but until I graduate...the best place for me is under my dad's roof.

Mara said...

You have been busy! I have been remodeling my basement since the fall....well, I should say I *started* in fall. Haven't worked on it since. I have a rowhome that was built in 1915, back when asbestos tile and coal burners were in style. My last work on it included peeling up 200+ old tiles, one. by. one. You can see why I haven't worked on it since! LOL

 
eXTReMe Tracker