Little Sicily Shares All...





Thursday, April 9, 2009

It only took how long?

I was watching the news yesterday while at my parent’s house. I was actually amazed at how much I do not know about current affairs. I would like to start watching the news more often…we’ll see how that works out for me.

I saw a piece on Filipino World War II veterans that were finally awarded some benefits that US government had promised them during the war. Shockingly, they failed to stand by their word. In the signing of the economic stimulus bill, Obama included a lump sum payment for qualified Filipino World War II veterans.
The bill:
Section 1002, Title X of the economic stimulus law [ PL 111-5 ]states that the payment will be made "in the case of an eligible person who is not a citizen of the United States, in the amount of $9,000; and in the case of an eligible person who is a citizen of the United States, in the amount of $15,000."

There are about 15,000 veterans that are still alive, 3,000 living in the states and 12,000 living in the Philippines.

I was just very happy to see that they are finally being recognized.

Thank you President Obama!

1 comments:

Muppet Soul said...

LOVE THAT OBAMA.

 
eXTReMe Tracker