Little Sicily Shares All...





Thursday, April 23, 2009

Quote of the Day

If you wait until you’re really sure, you’ll never take off the training wheels.
Cynthia Copeland Lewis

I mostly agree and slightly disagree with this quote; depending on what angle I look at it. Agree, because if you are too afraid to try something new or different, you’ll never gain any experience. You will go around being naïve to the possibilities of what could be. You will keep repeating the same behavior without any growth. You may wait too long and the opportunity passes. Disagree because sometimes I think that people act without thinking things through. Spontaneity is a wonderful, but at the same time it could get you into a lot of trouble.

I have been at both spectrums…I have thought about the possibilities of what could happen, how this would affect people around me, and what would they think of me to the point of losing out on the chance to even attempt to make it work. I have also acted too quickly and later kicked myself in the ass for doing what I did. I want to strive to be in the middle. I don’t want to wait too long, or plan too far in advance, because you never know what will happen. In the same light, I do think that I should at least take a minute to think. I know that I will not always make the right choice, and I am ok with that. Mistakes are learning experiences. I would rather try something then look bad and wish I had.

4 comments:

Mara said...

Someone much smarter than me once said: "Plan like you will live forever, live like you will die tomorrow."

OmegaRadium said...

I often struggle to find and keep balance between too much thought/no action and too little thought/too much action. It is hard, and often I find myself loosing the battle and simply over thinking things. I'm working on it! :)

Children of the 90s said...

I've found that sometimes you just have to go for it and be impulsive. If you really try to imagine what the worst possible outcome is, it's usually not as threatening as you initially thought.

MJW said...

Great post and great points of view. Thanks for sharing Dani!

 
eXTReMe Tracker