Little Sicily Shares All...





Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Tuesday Night Date Night

Last night, I went on a wonderful date to the D.O.C Wine Bar. We sat outside, had great conversation, great food, and great drinks! Wine is half off for "happy hour;" Illinois bans happy hour...bitches! To go along with our wine, we decided to get a platter with cheeses and meats. I learned yesterday that I am sheltered when it comes to cheese. I have tried basic American cheeses, and some Italian cheeses, but I honestly have no clue about cheese.

We picked two Cheddar flavors (to be safe) and the most wonderful tasting Gouda. I have never had Gouda before, and I'm super picky, so I was nervous. It was awesome though it tasted like nuts and maple; it's call Marieke Gouda Foenegreek. If you have an opportunity to try it- I suggest you do! You will not be disappointed.

I would like to continue to try more/different cheeses. I have noticed that every time I do try another cheese, I tend to like it. Plus wine and cheese how can you go wrong?

We finished the night with an awesome dessert...the Lincoln Park Warm Chocolate Chip Cookie with Vanilla Ice Cream and Rum Carmel. The cookie is served in a VERY hot skillet -I burned myself, right after the waitress told us to be careful not to touch the skillet. Go me! I tend to burn myself lots...my right arm alone has 5 burn marks alone. Did I mention that I'm clumsy and not too careful when it comes to hot things?

I plan of going back to the D.O.C Wine Bar and would recommend others to try it too. They have other things to drink/eat besides wine and cheese if that is not your thing. It's reasonably priced and the service was good. We sat outside; I <3 dinning alfresco, but the inside is very clean and modern. I really enjoyed the whole experience.

Thanks JD for a wonderful date night!

3 comments:

Mara said...

I love cheese! In the Italian category, try Ricotta Salata and Prima Donna--they are two of my absolute favorites! Some others worth trying are aged goudas from Holland and manchego from Spain. Delish!

Getting close to 30.... said...

Fun.. sounds yummy! I love cheese so it's hard to go wrong for me. I agree with M.J. manchego is delish! I really like sage derby and Havarti too... even better with a good wine!

Children of the 90s said...

Sounds like a great date! This post made me hungry--I love cheese, whenever I go to whole foods or central market I aspire to be a cheese snob.

 
eXTReMe Tracker