Little Sicily Shares All...





Saturday, June 13, 2009

I bought make up!

On Thursday night I went to a Mary Kay party with JD and one of our coworkers. Before going, we went out for dinner and drinks; all I'll say is Strawberry Mojitos rock!

I was a little nervous about the Mary Kay party- I don't wear makeup, and my last experience with Mary Kay was in 7th grade when my friend Margaret won a free Mary Kay makeover for a group of us. At that party, the Mary Kay lady made me wear ORANGE lipstick...i was turned off from Mary Kay for what I thought would be a lifetime.

I agreed to go to this little party because I try to be a nice person. I was super surprised, when I realized that I actually was having fun trying on make up. I'm not really one to wear make up. Recently I did decide that I could handle lip gloss. Thursday was a whole other ball game. I had on foundation- which I refuse to wear...makes me feel claustrophobic. Then there was mascara, eye liner, eye shadow, and blush. I learned that I have no clue how to apply makeup...I looked like I had a black eye. Mary Kay lady came over and fixed me up...wow it was fun, but silver, navy, and metallic- I'm not ready for that at all.

This is what I ended up with:

I'm really excited about it, i just hope that I can figure out how the hell to apply it. Practice makes perfect I guess?

I did want to mention that I was impressed by Mary Kay. They are a very "green" company. All of their packaging is recyclable. The compact that I bought can be reused, the eye shadows are held in place by magnetic force. I was very happy when I found out that even their packing bubbles are made from rice and paper, so they are biodegradable with water. Most of their products are made in the USA or Canada. The eye shadows are made in Italy...livable wages paid to employees. Not to mention that they are all about the encouragement of women entrepreneurs. I learned that a consultant receives 40% of the products sold.

I was just happy to see that there is a good company out there who cares about the environment and the well being of people.

7 comments:

Teach.Workout.Love said...

congrats!!!


You should check out the company MAC... they are amazing and great but really expensive but sooo worth it!!!!

the girl with the pink teacup said...

Oh, I feel your pain on the foundation thing! But when it's done beautifully, make-up can enhance the loveliness that's already there :) Have fun with your new toys!

xo

OmegaRadium said...

I don't know a whole lot about makeup, but my mom used to sell Mary Kay stuff and always had a blast doing it. I've attended more Mary Kay parties than I truly care to admit... :P

Kylie said...

I don't wear makeup either.
I would love to wear it more often, but I haven't a clue how to apply it properly without looking like I'm 'trying too hard'. On top of that, I generally wear my hair in a ponytail or just long & straight. No blowdryer, no curling iron, etc...

I'm very low maintenance. Sometimes I would like to put forth a better effort though. Have fun experimenting with new looks!

Moonjava said...

I'm with you on that one! Never wear makeup. I can count on one hand the number of times I have worn makeup in the past 2-3 years (saying a lot isn't it?). I can't figure out how to apply stuff.

Everyday minerals is also pretty good, that's where I purchased my first makeup brush. ;) Made of bamboo, earth friendly!

JD said...

I can not wait for you to experiment. We should exchange knowledge: you teach me how to use my new computer & I'll show the smokey eye technique!

Agreed: Thursday was not as bad as anticipated...although it was probably due to the mojitos. Glorious, glorious mojitos!

Anonymous said...

I don't wear make up, too. Except when I am obliged in some occasions like weddings, and some others I can't actually recall.. Enjoy your make up! Cheers!^^

 
eXTReMe Tracker