Little Sicily Shares All...





Friday, January 15, 2010

The evolution of coffee and Dani: A true love story



Once upon a time, I hated coffee; couldn't understand why people loved it so much. What was good about a cup of hot poo water? When I was about 16, my girl friends all started to like coffee, so we'd meet up at Starbucks in Barnes and Noble. I would go to socialize, never for the coffee. After several years, Mary begged me to try a sip of her Caramel Frap...and what do you know, I was in love. I mean, how could you not be in love with that sugary frozen yumminess. I was hooked on them from that point on-by this point, I'm talking about Jr. yr of COLLEGE...yes it took me that long to sip it.

The first time I tried something other than a frap was late 2007. I finally got over my hatred for warm drinks and tried a nonfat caramel latte...again I was in love. Through the years, I did try other lattes and took lots of shots of espresso.

My mother has made espresso every night after dinner since I was a little girl. I would not try it and when I finally did, I was so angry that I had been missing out on the goodness for so many years. She uses an old school Italian espresso maker that you put on the stove, the espresso tastes so much better!!!



It was not until this summer that I tried my first cup of American Coffee (thanks Mary and Joel). It had enough creamer in it to almost taste like a latte. In hopes of saving money I made the switch from Starbys to the free American coffee at work. it was difficult at first for me to like it, and get used to it. I would pour in tons of creamer.

One day at the grocery store, they didn't have the right creamer, so I bought the generic kind...it was gross and left an oily feeling on my lips. That day I decided to try my coffee with just a pack of Splenda. I thought that it actually tasted better!!! END OF CREAMER FOR ME. Then, one day there was no Splenda, so I said f*&k it, I'll try it black...and like the saying goes..."once you go black, you'll never go back!!!"

So there you have it...the love story between Coffee and I.

Wow, I'm really avoiding work right now...

2 comments:

Mr. Condescending said...

I'm not much of a coffee drinker but I can tolerate it enough to drink it when needed. I thought the use of the black expression was hilariously well placed.

Amanda Wissmann said...

What a FABULOUS post! I love hearing how people come to love this and that...Especially COFFEE!

I, on the other hand, have been drinking coffee since I was 5. When I would go visit my grandmother, and would crawl into her bed to say good morning, she always had a cup in hand and I always associated the smell with her! She started giving me sips and finally started making me my own because I would drink most of hers! Teehee!

I still think of her EVERYTIME I have a cup of coffee!

 
eXTReMe Tracker