Little Sicily Shares All...





Friday, March 6, 2009

Fish Friday

I was talking to a coworker today, and he asked me if I had or was going to eat meat today. He said that he ate bacon this morning and felt terrible…he was going to eat lots of fish the rest of the day to make up for it.
I was born and raised Catholic; it was not until I was in college that I started to really question the Catholic faith. I went to a Catholic grade school (good old SMS) and mostly had Catholic friends growing up. In my younger days, I didn’t really understand religion. It was just something that I had to believe in and accept. I would go to church on Fridays (at school) and Sundays with my mom.
As I got a little older, I started to really enjoy going to church. I would pray all the time (Mary’s influence). I remember thinking that it would just be easier if I didn’t sin so that way I wouldn’t have to tell the priest about it…since going to confession and not telling the priest about a sin commited is also a sin. I would even pray the Rosary while running…
In growing, I started to question the rules of the Catholic Church. The biggest one for me was sex before marriage. I knew that I would not be able to wait until marriage to have sex (you need to check out the water before jumping in). In questioning that, I started to question all aspects of it. The more I questioned, the more I distanced myself from the church. I still believe in God, but I just think that religion brings war instead of peace. People are always trying to force their religious views, believe that what they think is right. Why can’t we all just be happy to let others believe in what they want to believe?
So why can’t Catholics eat meat on Fridays during lent? My favorite theory, knowing the Catholic Church; it’s greed…used for economical purposes. The fisherman weren’t making any money, so they decided to make people eat fish on Fridays.
That is just my thought behind it. If you are a true believer, more power to you.

1 comments:

Oats said...

As another lapsed Catholic, I too questioned this stupid tradition. You have a good theory as to why no meat on Friday. My question is how did it go from fasting for all of lent, to fasting one day a week - which became Friday...to no Meat?

Notice they never give up alcohol? That's because they used to drink Meads and other heavy beers for the carbs during lent. I think we should go back to that tradition!

 
eXTReMe Tracker