Little Sicily Shares All...





Thursday, March 26, 2009

But I'm a...

I always wonder why people use religion as a means of gain. I do not consider myself to be religious…I’m spiritual and I believe in a god, but I do not follow one religion. It really angers me when people use religion as a reason for why they are entitled…in my experiences for money.

Today, I was on the phone with a woman, who wanted me to give her $4000 because she is an honest Christian. I do not understand why people believe that it is justifiable to throw out religion as a way of stating that you deserve more money. Can someone please explain this train of thought to me? Isn’t being a Christian all about being a good honest person, being tolerant and forgiving? Where does the entitlement to money come in? She literally told me that she prayed to god that I would pay her $4000…WTF?

Another example…this occurred several years ago, but it still bothers me. A man, yelled at me, for a good amount of time…and I mean screaming. What was he screaming about…about how he is aJehovah's Witness, and that means that he is a good honest person, and therefore is right, and I should pay him.

I wish people would understand that decisions are based on fact. It does not matter to me if you are a Christian, Jehovah’s Witness, Atheists, or any other religion/creed. I just care about if there is legal liability or not; then I look at the supporting documentation…religion, not on my list

1 comments:

Lisa said...

I read this a few days ago and forgot to comment.

This is one of my biggest work-related pet peeves - people bringing up religion.

I work in the admissions office of a boarding school. Each year there are a handful of kids who don't get in or are put on the waitlist, and so we get phone calls from the parents saying things like "It's OK, I know God will see to it that my child is accepted."

It just seems like an odd thing to say when you are talking to the one of the few people responsible for deciding your child's boarding school fate, you know?

People are just funny, I guess.

 
eXTReMe Tracker