Little Sicily Shares All...





Monday, August 13, 2007

Wasting Money

I read an article today about the top ten money wasters for most people, and it got me thinking about my biggest money wasters are. I was a little disgusted to see exactly how much of a consumer I am…

My # 1 is scrapbook supplies. I spend about an average of $50-$75 per month on paper, stickers, cutting tools, and embellishments. Depends on my mood and how many times I enter into a scrapbook store. Each month, it may not seem like all that much (some people will disagree- namely Steve) but when you add it up that is about $2600-3900.00 per year. That is a hella lot of cash.

I know that I will not stop making scrapbooks, but what I will do, is try to use up all that I have (which is a closet full), I will not randomly go into a scrapbook store, and I will check the web for deals before buying in the store. If I need to go in a store to buy something, I will stick to the specifics that I need. I think that I can reduce my year amount spent in about half, if not more.

My # 2 eating dinner out; whether it is with Sal or my girlfriends, or family. I spend about $50.00 a month going to restaurants for dinner. That is about $2600.00 a year. Birthdays and special occasions will not go away, but I’m going to make sure that Steve and I don’t eat out because we don’t feel like cooking.

My # 3 Lunch out during the workweek. I used to eat out every day…before I bought a condo. Since then I’ve limited it to about 2-3 times a week. Spending an average of $9.00 each lunch, that is about $936-1092 per year. I will start packing a lunch everyday from now on. It is not that difficult and it will save a ton of money.

My # 4: Starbucks…oh how I love my Starbucks. I’d say that in any given week I will give between $12-14 to them. $624-728 to Starbucks a year. I won’t lie and say that I won’t go there anymore, because I love that place. I’m just going to limit my intake to about $6 a week, which would be only $312 a year.

On the high, I spend about $8,320 a year on scrapbooking, eating out and drinking coffee. That is huge. If I could cut that in half, I would save $4160.00 in a year alone. I’m on a mission to save money, since our wedding is going to cost a fortune.

0 comments:

 
eXTReMe Tracker